I’m not a big believer in trying the latest Hollywood beauty trends. Most of them seem pretty silly, and some can be downright dangerous.
But every once in a while, I come across a “trendy” beauty routine that I can connect to. Like the Inner Facial…
I first experienced it when I was living in Indonesia. Over there it’s known as the Buccal technique, and they’ve been doing it for more than 20 years.
But it gained worldwide attention once A-listers like Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Lopez and Meghan Markle said it was their go-to treatment to get a sculpted jawline and cheekbones.
For me, it’s the ultimate DIY way to de-stress while getting the added benefit of sculpting my face.
The Inner Facial isn’t like an ordinary face treatment. It’s more like yoga for your facial muscles.
It uses deep lymphatic massage and contouring techniques to tackle sagging facial muscles — from inside your mouth.
Here are some of the benefits that keep people coming back for more:
- An inner facial stimulates and strengthens sagging cheek muscles to tone and contour the face.
- It also gets the blood flowing, bringing extra oxygen and nutrients to your skin cells.
- It softens deep wrinkles, while relaxing and removing tension from your jaw.
- This increased blood flow also helps flush away waste products, including free radicals. Free radicals cause DNA damage that makes your skin age faster than it should.
- And because it invigorates the lymphatic system, it drains away excess fluid build-up that causes your face to look puffy and bloated.
Research using similar methods proves it works. In a recent study published in PLOS One, researchers concluded that it provides “an efficient anti-aging strategy” that “improved fine lines” and caused a “lifting effect.”1
A second study found that volunteers who massaged their cheeks daily had more upper and lower cheek fullness. Their estimated age by independent dermatologists was two years younger compared to when they started.2
Grab Hold and Start Sculpting
Here’s an easy guide on how to do an Inner Facial:
- Place your index finger inside your mouth, with your thumb on your cheek to guide you. Your cheek contours are a big C-shaped curve.
- Slowly and carefully, go around the full contour of the cheek from the jaw up close to the nose.
- Follow the C-shaped contour of the cheek to release tension in the cheek.
- Massage the cheek muscle on the inside to plump out the skin.
After doing one or two sessions a week for eight to 10 weeks, you should see a big difference in the contours of your face.
To Your Best Health Ever,
1. Caberlotto E, et al. “Effects of a skin-massaging device on the ex-vivo expression of human dermis proteins and in-vivo facial wrinkles.” PLOS One. 2017;12(3):e0172624.
2. Alam A, et al. “Association of facial exercise with the appearance of aging.” JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(3):365-367.