I recently read a brand-new study on cellular aging that one of my patients printed out for me.
Basically, it says that researchers managed to rejuvenate old cells by injecting small amounts of the chemical hydrogen sulfide into them. In no time at all, the number of senescent — or dying — cells was cut in half.
In other words, they reversed cell aging.1
The researchers hope their lab findings will help people reduce their old cells.
But the sad thing is these researchers are so far behind the times.
We already have many natural ways of energizing your cells, getting rid of old cells, and reversing cellular aging. I’ve been using these therapies for many years to help my patients look and feel years younger.
But I don’t use Big Beauty’s tricks. The women I see in my clinic don’t have to cover up or camouflage wrinkles, age spots, and other signs of aging. I help them actually reverse the age of their skin cells.
Mainstream doctors don’t believe this is even possible. They simply don’t understand the science behind anti-aging medicine.
But a new study backs me up on what I’ve known for decades. You CAN turn back the clock. You CAN rejuvenate your body and skin deep down at the cellular level.
Let me explain…
Over time cells break down from DNA damage and inflammation. As these old or “senescent” cells build up you slow down and start to look old.
But your cells have a powerful housekeeping system called “autophagy.” This process cleans waste out of your cells and helps regenerate your body. It allows your skin cells to repair themselves and generate new cellular energy.
As you get older, autophagy gets slower. But you can speed it up and get back on track. The trick is asparagus. Studies find that asparagus extract increases autophagy by 29%. And that means younger-looking skin in women.
In one study, 31 women put asparagus extract on half of their face twice a day. They put a placebo on the other half. After 56 days asparagus extract increased collagen density by 7.5% on average.2 The asparagus also increased skin thickness and slowed down skin aging.
I recommend eating lots of asparagus. I like to make a cold asparagus salad with a garlic vinaigrette. Or cut it up and add it to a stir fry or soup.
You can also find asparagus extract as a supplement. Look for an Asparagus officinalis extract. It should be standardized to at least 4% asparagoides. Take 175 mg to 200 mg twice a day.
Two More Ways to Reverse Aging at the Cellular Level
Here are a couple more ways you can reverse aging right now deep down inside your cells.
- Rev up your mitochondria. The researchers from Exeter injected the hydrogen sulfide right into the mitochondria of the cells in their experiment. You know by now that mitochondria are the power plants in your cells that produce energy. When you’re young you have plenty of these tiny power generators. And when they’re all running at full speed, you feel like a kid. You have boundless energy. You look and feel young and alive.To revive your mitochondria and to make more of them, I recommend two supplements:
• CoQ10 is like high-octane gasoline to fuel your mitochondria. Look for the ubiquinol form. It’s eight times more bioavailable. Take at least 50 mg a day.
• PQQ (pyrroloquinoline quinone) triggers your cells to make more mitochondria. In one study, mice grew a staggering number of new mitochondria after they were fed PQQ for eight weeks.3 I recommend 10 mg a day.
- Lengthen your telomeres to reverse aging. You know by now that telomeres are the protective caps at the end of your chromosomes. Every time a skin cell divides, telomeres get shorter. When telomeres get really short, your skin cells can no longer produce new healthy cells. Your skin begins to sag, wrinkle, dry out, and look old.You can reverse that aging process with an ancient herb called Chinese skullcap. It contains a powerful antioxidant called baicalin. It works by restoring telomere length. Then your skin can make healthy, youthful new cells. It also helps activate anti-aging genes in skin cells and that keeps your skin acting years younger.In one study, researchers blasted skin cells with UVA rays. That’s the same kind of radiation you get from the sun. Skin cells without baicalin had their telomere lengths reduced by almost 70%. But baicalin was able to restore the telomeres to 65% of their original length, in spite of the radiation damage.4You can find Chinese skullcap in your local health food store or online. It’s also known by its Chinese name, Huang Qin. It comes as a dried herb, tea, fluid extract, and tincture. You’ll get about 10 mg of baicalin in every gram of Chinese skullcap leaves.I also recommend Chinese skullcap supplements. Take 400 mg to 600 mg per day with meals. Make sure you’re buying a Scutellaria baicalensis. American skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) is not the same and does not have the same effect.
To Your Good Health,
Al Sears, MD, CNS
1. Latorre E, et al. “Small molecule modulation of splicing factor expression is associated with rescue from cellular senescence.” BMC Cell Biol. 2017;18(1):31.
2. DocPlayer. REGU®-SCENCE Delays the appearance of skin aging by decades. http://docplayer.net/72769794-Regu-scence-delays-the-appearance-of-skin-aging-by-decades-in-vitro-test-performed-on-fibroblast-monolayers.html Accessed September 29, 2018.
3. Stites T, et al. “Pyrroloquinoline quinone modulates mitochondrial quantity and function in mice.” J Nutr. 2006; 136(2): 390-396.
4. Min W, et al. “Effects of baicalin on ultraviolet A-induced telomere damage in cultured human primary fibroblasts.” Chinese J Dermatol. 2011;44(9) 639-642.