Posted on

Are there hundreds of chemicals on your skin?

A recent study found that most women slap a staggering 515 synthetic and toxic chemicals on their bodies every day without realizing it.1

Then, there are the 200 or so dangerous airborne pollutants your skin is exposed to.

And that’s not even counting the thousands of other toxins you eat, drink, breathe, or touch 365 days a year.

The result is an invisible attack on your health, hair, and skin — and the bad news is that it’s aging you fast and making you sick.

But don’t worry… It’s never too late to take your health and beauty into your own hands. In a moment, I’ll share the best ways you can rid your body of these toxins. But first, let me tell you how we got here.

Your body didn’t evolve to live in the modern chemical-drenched world. Your organs, skin, and tissues weren’t built to stand up to the constant onslaught of toxins, heavy metals, and other nasties.

Here’s what I tell my patients all the time…

Because it’s almost impossible to escape the toxins of our modern world – whether in food, items we bring into our homes, and our self-care products – the only real way to protect yourself is by detoxing.

We have to recognize today that science has proven that the chemicals in products we use every day (including beauty makeup and lotions) are a TOXIC BURDEN for the body and build up to dangerous levels in our tissue, blood – and skin.

And yet, there are still medical professionals who dismiss detox as a “scam.”

The latest is Dr. Edzard Ernst, a German doctor practicing in England, recently stated that anyone who offers detox “is by definition a crook.”

Dr. Ernst thinks that detoxification should ONLY be used as a medical treatment for people with “life-threatening drug addictions.”

The truth is, detoxifying can boost your immune system, clear your mind, balance your hormones, and make you look and feel better than any beauty product.

One of the best, most enjoyable ways to detox is by sweating it out in an infrared sauna.

These saunas are a recent technological advance. They emerged in the mid-20th century Japan, where doctors pioneered its use to help heal wounds.

Unlike normal saunas, infrared saunas emit infrared light, which you experience as radiant heat. This energy is absorbed by your skin and penetrates several inches deep into your tissues.

These penetrating qualities heat your body more efficiently — and allow you to sweat more efficiently — than a traditional steam sauna.

In one study, sweat from a steam sauna was made of up to 97% water. But the sweat released in an infrared sauna was only 80% to 85% water. And the remaining 15% to 20% consisted of heavy metals, sulfuric acid, sodium, ammonia, uric acid, and other fat-soluble toxins.2

I was so impressed with the detoxing power of infrared therapy that I had an infrared sauna installed in my home and at the Sears Institute for Anti-Aging Medicine. If you’re interested in trying it out, call the Sears Institute for Anti-Aging Medicine at 561-784-7852 and talk to my staff.

If you don’t have access to an infrared sauna, an old-fashioned sauna is the next best thing.

Steam saunas originated in Finland more than 1,500 years ago. Studies show that in addition to detoxing your skin, frequent use can decrease your overall risk of mortality.

Use These 6 Tips Before Detoxing Your Skin In A Sauna

To get the full benefits of detoxification, here are some pointers I give my patients:

  1. Vigorously dry brush your skin with a loofah for 5 to 10 minutes. This removes dead skin and stimulates circulation. It also unclogs your pores so toxins can be released more effectively.
  2. After skin brushing, take a warm shower to rinse off.
  3. Build up slowly. Start with five minutes at a time to build up your tolerance.
  4. Work up to 20 or 30 minutes. Start with once a week and work up to a daily session.
  5. Drink up. Be sure to drink plenty of mineral water before, during, and after your sauna session to replenish lost fluids and minerals.
  6. Shower again. Following the sauna session, gently scrub the toxins and sweat from your skin in a warm or hot shower. Finish with 30 seconds of cold water to close your pores.

To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD

 Al Sears, MD, CNS


1. “Average UK woman wears 515 chemicals a day.” Reuters. Nov. 19, 2009.
2. Eliaz I., et al. The effect of modified citrus pectin on urinary excretion of toxic elements. Phytother Res. 2006 Oct;20(10):859-64.